Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My Top Five Tips for Surviving the Holiday Season!

We made it to Thanksgiving week! A big part of me can't believe it is here already and even though I detest the cold and snow that is unavoidable in Pittsburgh, I do get excited for the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I love seeing people. Wrapping pretty presents. Decorating my house and even going out in the cold to pick out a tree. I have learned that seeing the excitement for Christmas and other
holidays in my three year old's eyes (and energy level!) is contagious. Dressing up in pretty Christmas dresses. Baking and decorating cookies, making bright colored candy and homemade hot chocolate as gifts has taken on more than just being something on my todo list this year. It is magical....because she sees it as magical.

But what is a girl on a mission to stay as healthy as she can to do while facing all of these big celebratory meals, parties and yummy homemade treats?

Here are the five big things I do during the holiday season to avoid the weight gain and falling off track when it comes to my exercise game (because when I fall off it is SO hard for me to get back on again!)



1. Sweat Everyday (and I mean everyday!)


I know this time of year is extra busy and it may mean you have to get up a little earlier or stay up a little later BUT make this a nonnegotiable. Schedule it into your day. You will feel better and help balance out those extra little treats that will make their way into holiday meals. Shoot for 30 minute workouts when extra time seems nonexistent.

If you are traveling...bring your DVD's with you and play them in your hotel room or make use of the hotel gym or even just go for a brisk walk or run. Anything to keep your body moving and your exercise routine in check. Plus once the Holiday crazy is over you won't be scrambling to figure out how to get back on routine.

Get your family and friends involved by finding a Turkey Trot near you and running or walking Thanksgiving morning. My sister and I ran one last year and it was so much fun. These runs are typically full of people out in costume running and having a great time. Not a runner? Who cares? So many novice runners (and walkers) participate in these types of races.... you will not be alone. Alternate between running and walking. Or just grab a buddy and walk the race. You will still reap the benefits of getting your body moving that morning!

2. Bring the Healthy Dish


Not cooking dinner? Worried about what will be available for you to eat and not stray WAY off track? Bring the healthy side dish. (This is my game plan this year!) Whip up a healthy version of your favorites (like Shakeology Pumpkin Pie or this clean Green Bean Casserole by the Gracious Pantry.) I am going to be making a huge, colorful winter salad chock full of healthy greens, pomegranate and oranges all topped with a healthy and homemade citrus vinaigrette. This way I know I will have something to fill most of my plate while still enjoying small bites of my favorites (like stuffing!)

3. Eat Breakfast


Do not skip breakfast (or lunch) to "save" your calories for the big meal. Binging will surely happen in that situation. Have a healthy and filling breakfast. You will be less likely to overindulge and choose your treats wisely.


4. Decide Where you Want to Indulge


The holiday's are for celebrating and having some of your favorite treats is an important part of balancing a healthy lifestyle. If there is something you always look forward to....by all means enjoy but be conscious of serving size. AND this is not an excuse to indulge in everything. Choose wisely and savor your favorites.

5. Hydrate


Drink plenty of water (especially if alcohol is one of your chosen treats!) Make sure water is still your drink of choice and you are aiming to get at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces a day. This will also help keep you full and from overeating.

If there is any way I can help you in achieving your health and fitness goals, please don't hesitate to contact me through email or a message on Facebook.

Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...