Sunday, June 22, 2014

Unplug, Process and Breathe

Friday and Saturday were really rough. I just hit the wall where all of my worlds were very needy. We are starting to prep to move back to PA. Packing, deciding what to take and what to leave, mountains of laundry, what is going on a plane vs what is going in the car. Trying to use up all the food in the fridge and freezer. Lists upon lists upon lists.

And with that relocation also comes the start of a new cheer season. Schedules, and camp lists and preparations were all there needing to be done, addressed and communicated. Making sure orders are in on time and trying to orchestrate things from over 2,000 miles away.

On top of that, Beachbody was also conducting our annual Summit conference full of meetings, announcements, parties and new product launches. My social media outlets were blowing up with celebrity trainer photo opps, parties with sparkly dresses and new information I needed to learn and share.

I was just overwhelmed. I didn't know where to start.

So I didn't.

I just stopped. For two days. I didn't try to learn all the ins and outs of anything. I didn't worry about if our cheer bows would be here in time for camp. I didn't pack or do laundry. I didn't cook or meal prep or plan.

I worked out. Hard. (hello stress relief.)

I took my kiddo to the park and took a book (never underestimate the power of fiction in the sunshine to help you escape.)

I played Barbies.

I watched a movie (or three).

I had a few beers and grown up conversation with some really awesome people.





And I woke up today feeling like I could handle it all.

I made a list (or twelve).

I started on the mountain of laundry I don't really want to trek across the country dirty.

I got back to business.

Checked in with my peeps.

Followed up on our cheer gear.

Started writing this.

And I feel renewed.

Typically I am all for digging in and working hard. Plow through and make it happen. It will all make sense. I always viewed those who stepped away as not as dedicated or hard working as me. They must not want it like I do. Because crossing things off my list helps relieve my stress. It makes me feel like I have things handled. I can see what I am getting done. I am in control.

But this time those lists just made me feel like I was being crushed.

So I get it now.

In a world that is so plugged in, all the time, the expectations on us can be so big. To do more, accomplish more, achieve more, and work harder, longer, faster. It can make you feel so small. So unable to get anywhere. So defeated.

Sometimes it is okay to just run away and just hide for a minute, to take a deep breath and refocus.

As long as you come back swinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...